|Job Title:||Water Treatment Plant Operator|
|Company:||Travis County Water District No.17|
|Duty Locations:||Austin, Texas|
Fax: (512) 266-2790
Class Title: Water Treatment Plant Operator
FLSA: Non Exempt
Summary of Position
Operates and maintains the water treatment facility, including performing tests on pumps, motors, and water, maintaining logs, and performing preventive and corrective maintenance on equipment.
Reports to: Supervisor, Water Operations
- Directs: This is a non-supervisory position; however, may provide direction to Water Treatment Operator Trainee.
- Other: Has contact with other employees and with the general public.
Examples of Work
- Operates and maintains the water treatment facilities as required by state, and federal guidelines.
- Performs periodic tests on water treatment facility pumps, motors, and water, and takes appropriate reading of gauges and meters.
- Records plant telemetry information from satellite pumping stations, and maintains records of water treatment facility operations.
- Performs routine inspections of water treatment facilities, monitors pumps, tanks, chemicals, and filters, visually and with computer system, and adjusts equipment and chemicals to maintain specified operating conditions.
- Performs various chemical analyses, including pH, alkalinity, chlorine, turbidity, fluorides, and hardness tests, and ensures proper calibration of measuring equipment.
- Calculates various daily, weekly, and monthly chemical usage and water statistics, and records data on logs and charges.
- Ensures cleanliness of water facilities and cleans equipment as necessary.
- Must be able to lift at least 50lbs.
- Must be on call and respond to emergency situations.
- Performs corrective and preventive maintenance of water treatment equipment.
- Performs minor welding when necessary.
- Assists in preparing reports to state and federal regulatory agencies as required.
- Performs such other related duties as may be assigned.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of methods, practices, and equipment used in water treatment facilities; plumbing; minor electrical repair; basic chemistry; pumps and motors; water chemical analyzing equipment; city, state and federal water treatment specifications and regulations; and laboratory testing and procedures.
Skill/Ability to: learn and comply with state and federal regulations applicable to water treatment facilities; perform simple mathematical calculations; establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers; demonstrate proficiency in both oral and written communication; tolerate outside working conditions, including exposure to adverse weather conditions; and maintain appropriate necessary certifications.
Acceptable Experience and Training
High school graduation, or its equivalent, plus at least two years of experience in water treatment operations; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, or abilities.
Certificates and Licenses Required
Class C Surface Water Certification from the TCEQ.
Texas driver’s license.
Additional Compensation: Bonuses, Other forms
Benefits: Health insurance, Dental insurance, Vision insurance, Retirement plan, Paid time off, Parental leave, Professional development assistance, Tuition reimbursement