SCMA 2020 Best Tasting Membrane Water Competition will be held during the 2020 SCMA Annual Conference on Thursday, August 27,2020 at the San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter in San Antonio, Texas.
Who can participate:
Any utility in the SCMA region (Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas) that uses membrane treatment in the production of its drinking water is invited to submit a sample for judging. Facilities that do not use membranes in some stage of drinking water production are not eligible to enter.
How to enter:
Please submit a completed entry form though the online process or email the completed form (links below) to SCMA by Monday, August 17, 2020, to sign up to participate in the contest. You must drop off or have your sample shipped to the hotel ahead of time. If you plan to drop off your sample, please submit your entry to the SCMA Staff at conference registration by no later than 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday, August 26, 2020 (no exceptions). If you wish to ship your sample, please contact SCMA staff for instructions at 512-617-6529 or email.
Instructions for sample:
Please follow the instruction below when preparing your water sample:
- Collect sample from water system no more than 48 hours prior to the competition
- Place sample in a sealed 1 quart glass container
- Store and maintain sample at a temperature between 60 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit
- Do not chill the water sample or the sample will be disqualified
- Do not label the sample with your utility name or any other identifying marks
Only samples submitted in the correct sealed 1 quart glass container will be considered – no exceptions. SCMA staff will track samples as they are turned in and assign anonymous labels to each sample. The public water system must comply with all Maximum Contaminant Levels and Treatment Technique requirements, and must not have any potable water quality violations from a regulatory agency in 2019 or 2020, or be under regulatory consent decree or order for its potable water quality.
For each entry, individual samples will be prepared. Each judge will be given one sample of each entry.
The judges will evaluate the sample on the following scale:
- Taste 1-10 (1 being poor and 10 being best)
- Odor 1-10 (1 being poor and 10 being best)
- Color 1-10 (1 being poor and 10 being best)
- Clarity 1-10 (1 being poor and 10 being best)
- Mouthfeel 1-10 (1 being poor and 10 being best)
- Aftertaste 1-10 (1 being poor and 10 being best)
- Following Submission Instructions (1 being poor and 10 being best)
The sample with the highest cumulative score will be given the title of “2020 Best Tasting Membrane Water” The runner up will also be recognized. This award is sponsored by DCS Engineering LLC.
Questions? Contact SCMA at 512-617-6529 or email.